Morning musings - finding a place of shelter

     What/who do we use as a place of shelter?

I am finding my morning routine as my place of shelter.

It is a space to Be and rest in the silence. A nook of time carved out for myself to spend time with God. And to spend time by myself.

As a self professed introvert, I've realised that this is so key and something that I need to prioritise.  

It used to be  something that I had passed off as being not that significant and I could pick and choose when I made the time for it...
But what I've learnt, is that this is a non - negotiable for me. 

To create this routine I now make sure that my alarm is set, and I'm in bed the night before by 10pm which means I'm not burning the candle at both ends (which was something I wasn't doing in the past.)

 I would end up spending my evenings generally by that time zoned out wasting time and then still trying to get up in the morning but failing and then the cycle would start over.  

Find your place of shelter

 One thing I'm learning is that this can really help with those feelings of being more Ok in life. More Ok with the mess, or crazy. More Ok with whatever the day brings. 

So for me this is getting up earlier than the family, and then having about an hour to myself.  A chance to have a quiet breakfast and quiet Coffee (Quiet and Alone is in emphasis here! )...... 
time to read, spend time in a devotional, my bible, or a really great book. Time to pray and just 'BE'. Journal, draw whatever I fancy really. Its a space for ME!

In time gone by I used to feel super condemned about the way I used my mornings... I felt like I had to exercise and having this thought of having or needing to get exercise done first thing or I wouldn't be able to make it happen later... But then often this was never something I could sustain so it was a cycle of condemnation and procrastination. 

But this has changed for me now and I have come to peace with doing exercise at another set time and that works for me.  And now I am free to have that morning space.  As a type of Mindfulness time.

Can I recommend a morning routine?? YES!! 
But it's not so much even a morning routine... as what works for me will be different for you...it's more finding that place of shelter and whether it's in your morning, noon or night...you find it and make time for it, cherish it as it will help bring a sense of nourishment to your life... 

I would love to know if this resonates with you, so feel free to leave a note if it does

XOXO
    
 

Comments